History of Chickamauga, Georgia
Crawfish Spring, the main water supply for the early settlements, and later the City of Chickamauga in the early to mid 1900's, is located on Cove Road just south of the main town and across the road from the Gordon Lee Mansion. The Spring was named for the Cherokee Indian Chief Crayfish, the earliest recorded settlers in the area. One of the saddest chapters in American history was the forced removal of the Cherokee from their native lands in 1838. It is probable that the Cherokee from Crawfish Spring were detained at Ft Cummings in LaFayette Georgia and then marched back through their old settlement at the spring on their way to Ross's Landing in Chattanooga, Tennessee; the beginning of the Trail of Tears.
It was near the spring some years later when the War Between the States was brewing that Clark Gordon brought the young men of the area together and organized Company D, First Georgia Volunteer Infantry, C.S.A., serving with distinction. The rock on which he stood is located on the south side of the driveway leading to the Gordon Lee Mansion.
During the Battle of Chickamauga, September 19-20, 1863, both Union and then Southern soldiers used the spring as a primary water supply. With the Gordon Lee Mansion, located just west of the spring, being used as a field hospital the area around the spring was crowded and busy. Each September, during the annual War Between The States Day the area around the spring is used by reenactors as a camp and living history demonstration area. Visit the EVENTS PAGE for details.
The spring is no longer used as a city water supply and has been converted to a park setting with picnic tables, a swing, and a gazebo. The cool shade of the tall trees surrounding the spring give plenty of relief from the hot summer sun. Parking is free along Cove Road and the spring is open for all to enjoy at no charge.
Places to Visit