History of Chickamauga, Georgia
Lee and Gordon's Mills
Lee and Gordon's Mills, one of the oldest mills in the state of Georgia, is located about 2 miles east of the center of town on the west bank of the Chickamauga Creek. The mill was built by James Gordon, who came from Gwinnett County, Georgia in 1836. The mill served as the first general store in the area. A blacksmith shop was located nearby and the stagecoach and mail passed twice each week. Some time after the War Between the States a covered bridge spanned the creek by the mill, eventually torn down in the early 1900's. Click on the painting above and you'll see all of the early structures plus many of the citizens of the day. During the War Between the States, on September 9-10, 1863, the mill served as the headquarters of the Confederate Army of Tennessee, commanded by General Braxton Bragg. On September 10, Gen Bragg moved his headquarters south to LaFayette Georgia and Union troops occupied the mill and surrounding area the next day. Skirmishes between the opposingPost War Mill photo armies occurred September 13-18 with the major Battle of Chickamauga drawing the troops to the north on September 19-20, 1863. The mill then served as a headquarters for Wheeler's cavalry corps, but was recaptured in the winter of 1863 by Union troops who used the second story as a Masonic Lodge.
The wartime mill burned in 1867. Shortly thereafter, James Lee, a partner in the mill, rebuilt the mill on the same site, which still stands today. The mill was operated by different owners until 1967 and stood empty and neglected until 1993 when Mr. Frank Pierce purchased the mill and restored it to operating condition and rebuilt the dam. Corn meal, ground by the mill, can be purchased today at the mill and rental buildings on the property may be used for all types of gatherings. The following photos show the mill as it appears today, ready for your visit.
The City has recently entered into a lease agreement to operate the Mill.
For more information, please feel free to visit their website.
Parking is plentiful and free and no admission is charged. Winter Hours: Tues-Sat 9 am to 5 pm, closed Sunday and Monday. Phone 706-375-6801 for more information on tours or rentals.
Places to Visit